The Swire Chinese Language Centre at Jordanhill School opened in August 2016. It is led by Ms Yuwen Fortune, Principal Teacher of Mandarin who also coordinates the work of our Confucius Classroom.
The Centre teaches Mandarin to all pupils in Jordanhill from P5 to S1 and as an option in S2. From 2018-19 National Qualifications are offered from S3 onwards. Taster experiences are offered to S5-S6 and to staff.
An introduction to Mandarin is offered to pupils in St. Thomas Aquinas and Knightswood Secondary schools with the opportunity to progress thereafter to National Qualifications in S3. From 2018-19 an introduction to Mandarin and Chinese culture is being delivered to all pupils in P7 in Broomhill Primary
- CISS Summer Newsletter 2018 (see pages 6, 10, 11 and 23-24)
- Scottish Opera Confucius Classroom launched at Jordanhill February 2018
- CISS Winter Newsletter 2017 (see pages 6-7)
- Summer Immersion Course 2017
- Summer Immersion Course 2017 Blog
- Confucius Institute Events
- Chinese New Year Winners 2017
- Confucius Classroom Opening (Journal page 4 March 2017)
- Summer Immersion Course 2016 (Journal page 3 October 2016)
- Primary China Week 2016
- Chinese Language Centre (Journal page 6 March 2016)
Developing an understanding of Chinese culture is another key feature of the Centre’s work. A wide variety of activities and events take place with much of this supported by the Confucius Institute for Scotland’s Schools (CISS).
- In July 2019 a group of 10 pupils and a teacher will participate in the summer immersion course in Tianjin. Similar programmes took place in 2017 and 2016. (CISS)
- To date five of our pupils have won year long scholarships at the International University in Tianjin. Two are currently in situ 2018-19. (Hanban)
- In October 2017 a group of 26 pupils and 4 staff participated in a 14 day trip to Tianjin and Beijing. (CISS)