The Swire Chinese Language Centre at Jordanhill School opened in August 2016. It is led by Ms Yuwen Fortune, Principal Teacher of Mandarin who also coordinates the work of our Confucius Classroom.
The aims of the Centre and the Confucius Classroom are mutually supportive.
- Summer Immersion Course 2017
- Summer Immersion Course 2017 Blog
- Confucius Institute Events
- Chinese New Year Winners 2017
- Confucius Classroom Opening (Journal page 4 March 2017)
- Summer Immersion Course 2016 (Journal page 3 October 2016)
- Primary China Week 2016
- Chinese Language Centre (Journal page 6 March 2016)
In its first year the Centre taught Mandarin to pupils from P5 to S1 and offered taster experiences to S5-S6 and to staff. Over the coming sessions the teaching of Mandarin will roll out from S2 wth National Qualifications being offered in S4-S6.
Taster experiences were also offered in St. Thomas Aquinas and Knightswood Secondary schools with the opportunity for pupils there to take Mandarin as an option in S2 and progress to National Qualifications. Pupils wishing to study Higher or Advanced Higher will attend classes at Jordanhill.
Developing an understanding of Chinese culture is another key feature of the Centre's work. A wide variety of activities and events take place with much of this supported by the Confucius Institute for Scotland's Schools (CISS).
- In July 2017 a group of 10 pupils and a teacher participated in the summer immersion course in Tianjin. (CISS)
- Three of our pupils commenced year long scholarships at the International University in Tianjin in September 2017. (Hanban)
- In October 2017 a group of 26 pupils and 4 staff participated in a 14 day trip to Tianjin and Beijing. (CISS)